Thursday, April 14, 2016

L is for Loudness at 2 am #atozchallenge




Might as well...
It was one of those Holy Grail songs.  The song you include in the bunch you take to a desert island.  The sing you hit the open road and drive as fast as you can to.  The song that's front and center in the soundtrack of your life.  The song was Jump by Van Halen, released December 21, 1983.  If you don't know or like the song then we can't be friends.  That's how much I love this song.  It's parent album came out on January 9, 1984.  I had two weeks of salivation to wait to buy the record.  This song was my crack.  I needed to hear it all the time.  I sang it, showered to it and (very privately) danced to it.  I could not wait to own my copy. 

I was visiting with my father for the weekend when he came home late with a surprise.  First, I thought it was a model kit (see yesterday's post) but nearly screamed when he pulled out 1984.  There was only one problem; the stereo was in the living room, my sister was asleep on the couch for the night and I wasn't allowed to listen until the next day when everyone got up.  

So close.  

I couldn't sleep.  I stared at the clock counting minutes to sunrise.  At around 2AM I couldn't take it anymore.  I got out of bed clutching my record and my giant tin can headphones and snuck into the living room passing my snoring sister like a ninja.  This was going to be glorious.  I clicked on the stereo, an old tube model with deep rich bass and a full warm sound, which took a minute to warm up.  The sound was even better though my headphones which were an old studio model with these big ear cups that gave music such full resonance it was almost orgasmic.   I put the record on the turn table.  I put my headphones on.  I turned the volume all the way up because I love my music loud.  I mean really loud.  I put the needle on the exact spot and fired it up.

The sound washed over my like warm ocean waves.  It was deafening. It was so loud with such vibration I almost made myself sterile.   It looked like the pictures on the walls were vibrating, like lose change on the table was dancing, like the glasses were rattling in the china cabinet....

...Because they were.

The lights came on and there was my father, bleary, hair all disheveled and leaning on the wall for support.  Next to him was my grandmother who crawled out of her room  holding a baseball bat and leaning on him for support.  Behind me was my sister, wide eyed, standing on the couch with hair on end.  The flurry of obscenities started, which I can't repeat here but could be summed up as, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!?"



"Um, listening to my record through the phones."

My father, chewing on his fist said, "Look down".

TIP: When getting overexcited to hear your new favorite song at the forbidden hour through your cool studio headphones  and you go through a NASA-like checklist just to put a record on, make sure you bothered to actually plug the headphones into the stereo.  


Thank you for visiting.  I answer all comments so please subscribe to be part of the chaos here and never miss a post!  If you'd like something light and cheery, please visit my kid's picture book blog about an adventurous five-legged spider and the mischief he gets himself into at Ollie Bug's Blog , also part of the A to Z Challenge.  You can also find me on Facebook,  Instagram  Twitter

13 comments:

  1. Funny, I liked the Pat Benatar song that came out that year. I think it was her: We Belong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! Thanks for stopping by. I think We Belong came out in the fall of 1984. I do miss our youth.

      Delete
  2. Hysterical! I love that your grandmother came out with a baseball bat! I had Jump on a 45 (I had to look up what they were called because I'm getting old and forgetful). My favorite Van Halen song is Hot for Teacher :)
    ~Katie
    TheCyborgMom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. My grandmother rotated between a bat and a cement filled pipe capped at both ends. Fun times. Hot For Teacher was the first track in side two. How's that for showing my age?

      Delete
    3. My grandmother rotated between a bat and a cement filled pipe capped at both ends. Fun times. Hot For Teacher was the first track in side two. How's that for showing my age?

      Delete
  3. Also, I need you to have a blogger follower button or something...so I can find you after the A to Z! I don't do the email sign up thing :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you could do that. I just looked it up. Done and done on the right column on top! I subscribed to yours.

      Delete
    2. Yes...I'm your first shrunken head!
      And your grandmother sounds like a badass! haha

      Delete
    3. Yay, I has a shrunken head! Remember that toy? my grandmother was a story unto herself. I'll probably include her here.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've laughed this hard for a long time! Great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcy, thanks for coming over. I'm happy to provide that laugh!

      Delete